Me-Made-May, day 4!
Mondays in Me-Made-May are all about variations on New Look 6123, a lovely dress with options for a 1-piece or crossover bodice, and plain or side-gathered skirt, with an optional side flounce. I adapted the pattern for medium-stretch knits in order to stash-bust a bit. Besides, nothing says spring like pulling on an easy-fitting, no-wrinkle, no-fuss knit dress.
This weeks’ version is view D, simple top shaped with front and bust darts, and skirt with a flounce and side gathers:
The side flounce is cute, and swooshes when I walk, and I quite like the high round neck.
I first made this dress a couple of years ago using a floral print challis, and loved the results. The design works well using any fabric with gentle drape, and it would also look great in a lighter suitings. I couldn’t find all of the pattern pieces, so I re-purchased it off the Simplicity website (under the New Look patterns), this time using the PDF option to print and assemble at home.
Note, the PDF version is a whopping 80 pages to print. There are 2 skirt and 2 top variations, so you’re basically getting 2 dresses, but still, the company did nothing to try and scale down the layout to accommodate for economical printing at home. Boo on them! Buy it in stores if you can, but if you’re desperate, print it like I did. I simply couldn’t find anything similar from the other companies.
Pattern & Instructions:
Level of Difficulty – beginner/intermediate.
The pattern is fairly simple to assemble, only basic sewing experience required, and the instructions are clear. I tend to ignore instructions, however, and usually make all my dresses the same way:
(1) assemble the front top+bottom, (2) sew flounce and baste to the front side of the skirt, (3) assemble the back top+ bottom, (4) sew front to back, (5) slap on the sleeves, (6) cut a strip of binding from your fabric, sew around neckline, fold over and topstitch in place, (7) hem.
Since I was adapting the pattern for knits, I decided to make a muslin first, using up a piece of hideously patterned knit from my stash. It was an important step – I’m no genius at figuring out how to adapt a pattern for knits, I tend to play with the fabric and just kinda figure out what to trim off where. I adjusted this pattern by taking in the shoulders and sides a bit, but left the darts where they were instead of moving them a touch closer to the center line, it worked out just fine as my knit fabric wasn’t all that stretchy, and the darts fell exactly where they were supposed to anyhow.
The only other adjustments I made on the muslin was (a) to add 1.5″ to the bottom of the top front and back, my torso is long and my waist is lower, I always have to add a little length to tops or waistlines, and (b) add 2″ to the length of the skirt, just my preference.
Considering I adapted this for knits, I didn’t feel it was necessary to do a full bust adjustment, the fabric was stretchy enough.
I do love this pattern, despite the excess pages to print in PDF format, and plan to re-use it multiple times.
Check out this google search for design inspiration!