So I’ve been thinking lately about how I get stuck in a clothing rut, and decided to really try branching out into new patterns this year. This Lekala dress pattern is not something I would normally make for myself – I love the dress, but the sleeves are drapey and that’s not usually my thing, I tend to stick to close-fitting garments. I’m still working on the dress, and love it so far, so I decided to make a top from the same pattern.
I used the top front and back parts of the pattern, as well as the waistband pieces, adding a little extra at the bottom for my hem. The instructions call for folding the neckline under and sewing it in place, but I think you can just as easily draft facing pieces if you think that would look better – probably depends more on the type of fabric you’re using, if it unravels easily, if you’re obsessive about unfinished inside seams, etc. I decided to fold the fabric over as instructed. Since my fabric was a very stretchy sweater knit, I used a narrow zig-zag stitch to assemble and then a twin needle on the neckline and hem.
I could see making this again, maybe tapering in the sleeve width a bit so its a little less drapey at the cuff or adding a belt to change it up a bit.