Click here for great link on arm knitting!
I hooked up with friends at a favourite coffee haunt this past Saturday, we tried our hand at arm knitting. My yarn was a bit too thin, so my attempt failed miserably. Determined to make a double-wrap cowl happen, I picked up Patons Cobbles yarn – a really thick yarn, 2 skeins will do a cowl. I cast on 12 stitches, and got to work…beautiful, but way too wide. It literally engulfed my entire face when I wrapped it around my neck, so I unravelled it and started again…
I tried again with 8 stitches, still too wide for a double-wrap cowl! I ended up casting on only 4 stitches, but the yarn is so thick, it works just fine! I still had 2 balls of yarn left, so I arm-knit a short scarf casting on 6 stitches, sewed on a button to one side, slide it through one of the stitches like a buttonhole, and voila!
And here’s me playing with kittie, which inevitably led to covering him in bits of leftover yarn…he pretends to hate it, but gets pissed if you don’t give him more attention…
me-made-March day 20!
Another skirt from the “Perfect Pencil Pattern” I worked on a while back – the pattern is a good basic staple, and pencil skirts are so practical. This one is in a thin stretch suiting. Turned out well, but it’s actually too big, so I’ll have to undo the waistband at some point and take in the sides. This one is fully lined, with a 1″ waistband. And while I’m taking in the width, looks like I’ll have to add a bit more ease to the section just below the bum where I stitch the lining to the skirt – look at the v-shaped pull lines 😦
So I’ve been thinking lately about how I get stuck in a clothing rut, and decided to really try branching out into new patterns this year. This Lekala dress pattern is not something I would normally make for myself – I love the dress, but the sleeves are drapey and that’s not usually my thing, I tend to stick to close-fitting garments. I’m still working on the dress, and love it so far, so I decided to make a top from the same pattern.
I used the top front and back parts of the pattern, as well as the waistband pieces, adding a little extra at the bottom for my hem. The instructions call for folding the neckline under and sewing it in place, but I think you can just as easily draft facing pieces if you think that would look better – probably depends more on the type of fabric you’re using, if it unravels easily, if you’re obsessive about unfinished inside seams, etc. I decided to fold the fabric over as instructed. Since my fabric was a very stretchy sweater knit, I used a narrow zig-zag stitch to assemble and then a twin needle on the neckline and hem.
I could see making this again, maybe tapering in the sleeve width a bit so its a little less drapey at the cuff or adding a belt to change it up a bit.
me-made-March day 18!
Another simple top for me-made today, something I made a while back with fabric bought on our trip to New York in September 2012. It’s another rendition of the Burda cowl top/dress, with side gathers removed. The fabric is a jersey knit, with an incredibly buttery soft handfeel. A little harder to work with, but this is a great pattern for thinner, slippery fabrics since there’s minimal sewing – shoulders, sides, back facing, hem, done. I like to wear it with a cardi…
me-made-March day 17!
Nothing super-fancy today, just another skirt from the “Perfect Pencil Pattern” I worked on a while back. This one is in a knit fabric, the remnants left over from my Lekala cowl dress. I didn’t have enough fabric left for a centre back seam, zipper and vent…and frankly, a thick knit fabric doesn’t need it.
Instead, I cut the back on the fold, sewed the back darts, and made a casing around the top (pic below). Leave a 1″ gap in the casing to thread in a piece of thin elastic, sew the gap closed, and you’re done!
me-made-March day 16!
Tried something a little different for today’s post. I liked Sandi’s jersey top from Sew Dandee’s me-made-challenge so much, I decided to give it a try. Honestly, it’s not something I might have picked out for myself, but I love it! The knit I used was a bit thin and delicate, maybe next time something with a bit more body. I hemmed it by hand, then topstitched by machine using a twin needle. I finished the neck the same way, using a bias binding made from the same fabric. My husband says I look like a flying squirrel (in a cute way).
Super-simple, no pattern top. See tutorial for instructions.
me-made-March day 15!
This was probably the funnest project to date, I used the following pattern for workout bottoms and just cut a much smaller length. Ta-daaaah – jammie bottoms. In owl print, nonetheless, talk about bringing a little sunshine to an otherwise dreary day. I didn’t bother with the drawstring or back pockets, but I added bias binding to the side seam and leg hem, and 3 cute little buttons. so cute, so comfy…
Think shorts/pants are hard to make? It’s a lot easier than you think. Sew a front leg pant piece to a back leg pant piece, repeat with other set of leg pant pieces (left pic, below). Lay both sets of pants legs pieces flat on top of each other, and sew up the crotch seam from front to back (right pic).
Now, when you open up the pieces and pair up the leg seams, you’ve got shorts!
If you’re going to add bias seam binding, sew it on the full length of the back leg side and only part-way up the front (left pic, below). Lay the back leg on top of the front, and sew on top of the bias binding to join back to front – make sure they overlap up until the bottom of the leg opening (right pic).
From there, follow the remaining instructions that come with the pattern.